August 23, 2012

Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cake

I saw this recipe for a blueberry lemon breakfast cake online a long time ago, but never have had all of the ingredients to make it. Eventually I dragged myself out to the grocery store to grab the other items I needed. 

Before you read this recipe, it is important to know this is definitely not a healthy breakfast meal! I was very surprised to see how much sugar went into this recipe, but I guess that's why they call it a breakfast cake. :)


Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cake (serves 6-8)

½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp. lemon zest or more — zest from 1 large lemon
7/8 cup* + 1 tablespoon sugar**
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup buttermilk

* 7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
** This 1 tablespoon is for sprinkling on top

1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries. Add a little extra buttermilk to make the cake more moist.
4. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes. (Note: Baking for as long as 10 minutes more might be necessary.) Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow! This looks absolutely delish!

    I have nominated your blog for a Liebster Award. Come on by my blog to accept it!

    Congrats & Happy Thursday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy! I'm loving your coffee mug!!

    www.everydaywitharedhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I'm definetly going to have to try it out some time soon!

    Follow me:
    http://lego-house.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG this looks amazing!

    Love your blog girl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, this looks so good! I definitely need to try it!
    -Allie @ adventuresofamiddlesister.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy

    www.adoramehitabel.blogspot.com
    my twitter- @adoramehitabel
    my instragram- adoramehitabel

    ReplyDelete